Missoula Mercantile proposal
— goal: community retains a keystone building in the historic downtown area.
• hybrid spaces — with multiple activities under one roof create
a hive of movement and activity — they often become "the place
Marketplace potential tenants:
• anchor restaurant
• retail shops
• farm to table marketplace
• boutique hotel
• start-up incubator
• employ successful, business-friendly concepts that will attract investors with an affinity to the community.
• retain original Merc facade
ADAPTIVE RE-USE DESIGN
• maintain retail interface with street/foot traffic.
• use brick cladding to tie architectural elements together — enhancing sense of place by honoring "Missoula Style".
• smart planning principals =
create a thriving commercial district /downtown with mixed-use buildings — including retail and eateries on street level — creating a village-like, pedestrian-friendly feeling.